Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Being a mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  My children are amazing and make me a better person.  I am so lucky that I was chosen to be their mommy and every day I thank God that they are mine. 



Today my daughter and son (with some help from Daddy!) spoiled me rotten.  I got to sleep in and then had breakfast in bed.  After a lazy morning I got to take a NAP!  Scout got me a new toaster and Truman got me new scissors for my kitchen and fudge!  Chad of course got me the puppy!  (I wish she was old enough to be with us!)  Chad and Scout made a delicious cake and then we went to my mom's house to celebrate with the other moms in the family.  My mom, sister and sister-in-law kept up the spoiling theme and the guys did a great job making a yummy dinner.

Before I had kids I was always so amazed by my sister and sister-in-law.  I could not understand how they did it.  I loved their kids like crazy and was happy to just be the aunt.  They have raised incredible kids and I am so lucky to have them as role models.

My sister-in-law Kim taught me a love of cooking.  She also has given so much of herself to me and my family.  She is an amazingly strong woman and her determination is inspiring. 




My sister has her hands full.  As a single mom I am always amazed by everything that she does.  She has shown me that anything is possible.  She is not afraid to fail and puts herself out there in so many ways.  She doesn't care what other people think about her...which is something that I am struggling to learn.  I can't say enough about my sister...she really is just an incredible woman.



My mom.  Wow.  I don't even know where to start.  My mom is my bestfriend.  She is the person I can turn to with any problem big or small.  She is my rock.  She always knows what to say and to this day is able to "heal the boo-boos" even though when the boo-boos are more then a simple scrapped knee these days.  She takes amazing care of my children and they love her so much.  Her advice it thoughtful and although she will some times stick her nose in things she always does it out of love.  She taught me how to be strong.  She taught me how to stick up for myself.  She always gave me the freedom to figure things out in my own way.  I always say that I didn't move away from Lawrence because my mom wouldn't let me...but the truth is I just didn't want to be away from her.  She is a beautiful person, inside and out.  Thank you Mom...you can never really know how much I appreciate you and all that you have done.


I always tell people that my "mama bear" came out the first time Scout was placed in my arms.  But I think it starts before that.  When you know that you child is growing inside you and it is your job to protect them your whole world changes.  Scout made me a mom and has dealt with my learning curve!  She is a genuinely caring person.  Her heart is gigantic and she always is thinking about others.  She has an incredible sense of humor and can make me laugh all day.  She is stubborn and dramatic and silly.  She is smart, so smart but has no clue.  She lights up a room and steals the show.  I love her so much and I am so happy that I have a little girl who is a little bit too much like me!



Truman is an angel.  His smile is contagious.  He has an laugh that make everyone laugh with him.  He is determined and tough as nails.  He has these incredible eyes that really "see" things.  He looks into you as much as at you.  He is all boy but has a sensitivity that is hard to describe.  He hasn't had the easiest life so far.  But you would never know it.  He just keeps going and smiling.  I was so thrilled to find out I was having another baby.  After everything I went through with Scout I really didn't think it was ever going to happen.  I spent a lot of extra time with him during the pregnancy...being on best rest that long does that!  We talked a lot and I sang to him and rubbed my tummy.  We were so in sync by the time he was born that he was like an extension of me.  He is a mama's boy for sure.  No matter what the future holds, Truman is going to face it with grace.  He has taught me so much in the short amount of time he has been with me.  I think sometimes that is why God sent him to me...to remind me to slow down, appreciate the little things, celebrate life every day, and learn patience in the difficult moments.  Tru is a champion in my eyes.


And now the day is almost over...I am tired (even with all the extra sleep!) but full of happiness.  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  You are amazing people.  Your children are blessed to have you.  Thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment